Saturday July 12th saw the first ever wedding at St Andrews
Church Hyde Heath when Chris Herring, landlord of The Plough in Hyde Heath
married Janet Carter of Amersham. The ceremony was conducted by Rev John
Simpson, vicar of Little Missenden in whose Parish Hyde Heath now falls.
The church was built in 1910 by local benefactor Mrs Hampton who
specifically requested it to be outside Lt Missenden Parish. Originally a
mission room, it was at that time in the Parish of Chartridge - only later,
in 1956 by virtue of a document signed by HM Queen did it become part of Lt
As a daughter church to Little Missenden it has never been licensed for
weddings in its own right and this ceremony was only made possible by the
granting of a special licence by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The church underwent a major renovation in 2007 following bequests
from local residents, Bill & Vi Williamson and Francis Clark and is now in
The ceremony was followed by a reception at The Plough and an evening party
on the village common.